Friday, August 29, 2008

Jack's Surgery

Jack had a minor surgery yesterday - he got his tonsils removed! It was a pretty rough experience for him! I took him for a kids tour of the hospital on Wednesday and they showed him the area he would have his surgery and explained about what would happen. He started getting VERY nervous then and was very quiet through the entire tour!
Well, we woke up Thursday morning and got ready to go. We could tell that he wasn't happy about going - but we packed a few of his favorite things (his spiderman blanket and his teddy bear). When we got to the hospital, they took us back to the room where we got him ready. Well, the minute he saw the hospital gown he started to cry - he did NOT want to wear it. We put it on and then put his t-shirt back on over it.
We then waited about 45 minutes while doctors and nurses came in and got things ready. Then it was time for him to go. The two nurses who came to get him were great! They let him take off the hospital gown and just wear his pj's for the surgery. They also let him take his bear - I think that helped! He didn't want to be wheeled in, so Dusty and I watched him walk through the big double doors - and then I lost it. I know he was just getting his tonsils out, but it is hard watching your son walk into surgery.
We waited about an hour and then they came and got us. We went in a room and waited for him. When they brought him in, he was still trying to wake up. When he saw me, he started to cry - poor guy!! It took a while for the anesthesia to wear off - but we were able to take him home around 11:30 a.m. Well, he is doing great now! He loves being able to eat ice cream and popsicles anytime he wants. And, we have to keep telling him to lay down - I think he's getting bored. But, we are thankful everything went good with the surgery and hope that this will help his sleeping problems!


Mom, Dad & Jack before leaving for the hospital...


In the preperation room


Mom & Jack after the surgery

poor guy...

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I hope he's feeling better soon. It's always hard to see your kids hurting or sick.

J♥M said...

I had no idea! I'm glad he's hangin in there and that it's over for you! That stuff is tough on us moms!

Karen said...

Jack is one tough little boy. By afternoon he was ready to play. It was great seeing Tiffany trying to get him to rest and Jack testing her patience. Bree and I got to go Walmart to find him a toy. We loved shopping for him but of course Bree thought she should get something too.

Love you Jack.

Grandma Rupp

kamikae said...

I hope he is feeling a little better by now. Dylan had his tonsels out when he was four and it was so sad. I know exactly how you felt. I'm sorry I didn't come over or anything. I have had a little drama, OK a lot of drama, going on and can't really deal right now. I have been thinking of him though!

Mary said...

I'm glad everything went well!