Sunday, August 16, 2009

Thank You!

Please forgive this post if it seems a bit random and not put together - that is how I am feeling today! As I sat at the hospital today with my dad, I was overwhelmed with gratitude for many things. This week has been one of the hardest weeks my family has gone through. I was at camp Monday - Thursday. My dad went in for an MRI and more tests on Monday. Tuesday morning my mom called the neurologist and Dusty came over and they brought him to Utah Valley Regional Hospital. I kept calling to check on him, but my mom told me to stay at camp. I left camp on Thursday and came straight to the hospital. I wasn't expecting to see my dad in the state he was in. He had been going down hill everyday, and it was too much for me to take. He can't remember things and his brain is not working properly. The doctors are stumped right now - they can't understand why this came on so fast. They don't know if it's his Parkinson's or an infection that is causing this - or, if he'll be like this the rest of his life. I'm not sure I am strong enough for that one!

But, I am so grateful for many things right now. First of all, I have found a new love for my husband - he has been so great through all of this. He took Monday and Tuesday off work so I could stay at camp. I am so lucky to have him in my life. I keep wondering why he stays with me through all my crazy ups and downs - but, I am thankful he does.

I am also very lucky to have such amazing friends. I called my best friend Kristina on the way home from the hospital on Thursday - I was an emotional wreck! She offered to go pick up all Bree's dance stuff that she needed (she had a recital Friday night that I hadn't bought tights, leotard, or shoes for... ), and then she went and sat with my mom until Dusty and I got home. Well, Friday morning at 7 we got a call from my moms sister Joyce and her husband had passed away that night - I know, how much more can my mom take, right? Well, I told her to go to Magna to be with her sister and I'd go be with dad. I didn't know what to do with my kids and they only person I knew I could call that early was Kristina. She told me she'd be over in 20 minutes, and she was. She took the kids to IHOP, Cabelas, to get an ice cream cone - basically spoiled them! They loved it! I am so thankful for her and her friendship. We have been best friends for years and I always know I can count on her!

One of my very dear friends growing up, Stephanie, came Friday to see my dad with her mom and she took Myles and Jack home with her so we could focus on my dad and Bree's dance recital. I was so great not having to worry about all the kids and my dad! I've had several other friends call and text asking what they can do to help. I really feel truly blessed.

I know I've been rambling on a bit, but I just wanted to thank everyone for all their love and support. This is one trial I didn't want to face already, but I am so thankful to have such wonderful people around me helping me through this. THANK YOU!
p.s. the pictures on top are of my dad - I love the bottom one of him as a kid - he was so handsome!!

5 comments:

Burrows: places of retreat; shelter or refuge. said...

Tiffany,
Wow! What a hard thing to have to go through, especially when being away at camp. In the past couple of years, we have had to deal with my Mom's feet wearing out (now she is mostly in a wheelchair) and Richard's Dad getting a fast progressing dementia that affected his speech and body movement. It is hard especially when it comes on quickly. I'm so glad you have great people around you to help during this time. Keep us updated on how he is doing and what we can do for you.

Just Kristina... said...

I hope you know that I'd do ANYTHING for you and your family. I was happy to be able to help, and grateful that you called me. Besides, I had a lot of fun with Jack and Bree. They cracked me up!

Millie Killpack said...

A blog comment doesn't seem adequate right now. I can't imagine the overwhelming schedule, emotions and fears you must have right now. I think about you all the time.

J♥M said...

Tiff~
You're in my prayers! I can't imagine all the emotions you're experiencing! Know that I love you!

Nicole said...

Tiff, I'm so sorry you have been going through all of this! I hope things look up for you! If you ever need it, I would love to watch your kids! honestly, it would be so fun. we're thinking and praying for you guys!