Friday, September 10, 2010

I'm a Failure!

Here are the reasons I am feeling like a failure of a mother...
Here we are in the 3rd week of school and Jack already hates it. For some reason, he has it in his mind that he can't do the work so he won't. He is behind in his reading, and he hates to do it. He hates homework, and most of the time he hates me! I'm not sure what happened but Jack is miserable right now! And, I am completely at a loss as to what to do!!
I have met with his teacher, tried getting him to read with someone, and other things that are not helping. Sometimes I feel I am not cut out for this mother thing.
But, the truth is I love him so much and I am heart broken that he is struggling so much right now. I have tried everything I know to do, and nothing is working. I'm just trying to figure out where I went wrong so I can fix it and get my little guy happy again! Any suggestions are welcome...

3 comments:

Just Kristina... said...

You are soooo not a failure! As a teacher, I hear parents tell me stuff like this all of the time. Their child doesn't like school and hates reading and other homework. I really don't think it's anything you are or aren't doing. Jack just hasn't grasped "it" yet... whatever his "it" is. Let's chat about it. I may have a few ideas that can help. But rest assured, it's normal for a lot of parents!

J♥M said...

Oh Tiff, these kids of things are so hard to deal with. I can't imagine how you must feel! But you are NOT a failure! I think that you're on the right track, communicating with his teacher and doing better than you think you are with the situation. I wish I knew what to suggest or better yet, make the hardship just disappear! But I don't have that kind of magic. I pray that it all gets better and that it will work itself out so that he can enjoy school. Hugs!!!!

Chatzy said...

Tiff, this is Chelsea (hardman) Smith. I stumbled across this post and I have been thinking a lot about it. Not that my opinion counts for much but here it is. 1- You are NOT a failure. You love Jack and you are trying to do what is best for him, there is nothing wrong with that. 2- As much as I have always hated school (especially in elementary school) and seemed to hate it less when my mom had me doing extra curricular things, like dance, piano, soccer. I don't know if Jack is interested with those kind of things, maybe Karate would spike his interest, or some kind of sport. I think having something to look forward to after school is a great way to keep spirits up. Also, if Jack just isn't "clicking" with his teacher it might be an idea to see if he can switch. Sometimes one teacher and student just aren't a good match, and that doesn't mean that either one of them is bad, it just isn't a good fit.

Advise is cheap. Especially mine, I am in no way an expert or anything but that's my two cents. I hope Jack starts doing better. I'll keep him in my prayers!